Welcome to grilled cheese 101! Learn on to learn to make a grilled cheese sandwich with a crisp, golden exterior and melty heart each time.
When you’re questioning methods to make a grilled cheese sandwich, Jack’s your man. He makes one so usually that we’ve got a devoted grilled cheese pan in our kitchen. It’s seen one million grilled cheese experiments in its day–mayo on the bread, or softened butter? American cheese or Swiss?–all of which have helped him work out what, in our opinion, is THE BEST grilled cheese recipe. It’s extremely easy, nevertheless it yields an undeniably crave-able sandwich. This grilled cheese is crisp and golden on the surface and deliciously melty within the center (see that cheese pull up there?!). Tomato soup for serving is elective, however extremely really useful.
Grilled Cheese Recipe Components
Able to grasp this grilled cheese recipe? Right here’s what you’ll want:
- Good bread – My most popular sort of bread for this recipe is sourdough, as a result of I really like the tang it provides to the sandwich. I undoubtedly suggest making an attempt it out, however in the event you’re a grilled cheese purist, or in the event you don’t preserve sourdough available, common white bread will work right here too.
- Mayonnaise – For the surface of the bread! It helps it prepare dinner up with a crisp, superbly browned exterior.
- Dijon mustard – It’s not completely conventional, nevertheless it’s SO scrumptious, including refined tangy taste.
- Butter – For the pan.
- And cheese, after all! I really like to make use of a combo of two totally different cheeses to provide the sandwich a richer style. Questioning which of them are finest? Preserve studying!
What’s the perfect cheese for grilled cheese?
Okay, so truthfully, you may make an excellent grilled cheese sandwich with any varieties of cheese that soften nicely, from mozzarella to havarti to Monterey Jack or pepper jack. BUT I’ve a couple of favorites, and I believe they actually set this recipe aside.
- Sharp cheddar – For me, it’s a grilled cheese important! You simply can’t beat its sharp, nutty taste. It additionally melts superbly. I like to mix it with one of many two cheeses under.
- Gruyère or raclette – Each of those cheeses are varieties of Alpine-style Swiss cheese. They’re unparalleled melters, and every is salty and nutty, with a little bit of funk. Paired with the cheddar, they create a sandwich that has the gooey nostalgia of a traditional grilled cheese, however with a tad further complexity. Between the 2, I couldn’t choose a favourite. Select whichever is available at your grocery retailer!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements under.
How you can Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich (My Finest Ideas!)
Right here’s our straightforward methodology for methods to make a grilled cheese sandwich:
- Unfold mayo on the surface of the bread. Not butter! The mayo helps the bread brown insanely nicely within the skillet, making a mouthwatering crunch while you chunk into the sandwich. It additionally offers the sandwich a richer taste. Unfold the within of 1 slice of bread with a layer of Dijon mustard.
- Add grated cheese. I discover that grated cheese melts extra evenly than a slice of cheese does. (Although after all, in the event you select to make use of a softer sort of cheese, corresponding to brie, you’ll need to slice it.) Use sufficient to create a small mound of grated cheese over one slice of bread, usually 1 to 2 ounces of every sort of cheese. Place the opposite slice of bread on high, mayo facet out!
- Select the fitting skillet. We like to make use of cast-iron as a result of it creates attractive browning on the surface of the sandwich. In a pinch, nonstick works too!
- Go low and gradual. I don’t elevate my warmth any increased than medium-low. If the pan will get too sizzling, the bread will burn earlier than the cheese melts.
- Cowl the pan. Add sufficient butter to coat the underside of the pan. Then, add the sandwich, and COVER the skillet. The lid will entice steam within the pan, serving to soften the cheese because the bread toasts. Prepare dinner for two to three minutes, or till the bread is golden brown. Flip and prepare dinner, lined, on the second facet.
- Regulate the warmth as wanted. Decrease it if the bread is browning too rapidly!
When the bread is browned on either side and the sandwich is filled with melty cheese, take away it from the pan. Slice (into triangles, please!), and serve!
We love this recipe as written, however in the event you’re itching to vary it up, hey! You do you! Listed below are a couple of concepts to get you began:
- Change the cheese, clearly! Swap the Gruyere for fontina or gouda, use 100% cheddar, or sprinkle in some blue cheese for further funk. Like I stated above, any good melter goes!
- Add veggies. Tuck in a bit of sautéed spinach, caramelized onions, chopped steamed broccoli, roasted pink peppers, or roasted tomatoes.
- Add fruit. For actually gourmand grilled cheese sandwiches, use a mixture of Gruyere and brie cheese together with thinly sliced apples or a slather of fig jam.
- Pickles, please! Layer in pickled pink onions, pickled radishes, or pickled jalapeños for a enjoyable pop of taste.
- Get saucy. Substitute the mustard with a special sauce you’re keen on! Pesto, for instance, is improbable on a sandwich with mozzarella and provolone cheese.
Let me know what variations you attempt!
Extra Favourite Tacky Recipes
When you cherished studying methods to make an ideal grilled cheese sandwich, attempt considered one of these tacky recipes subsequent:
Discover ways to make the BEST grilled cheese sandwich! This straightforward recipe yields a grilled cheese with a crisp, golden exterior and a gooey, melty, tacky center. Scrumptious with tomato soup!
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Dijon mustard
- 1 to 2 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- 1 to 2 ounces grated Gruyère or raclette cheese, relying on the dimensions of your bread
- Butter, for the pan
Place the bread slices on a reducing board and unfold the highest facet with a skinny layer of mayo. Flip one slice of bread and unfold its different facet with Dijon mustard. Layer the cheddar and Gruyère or Raclette cheeses on high of the mustard, then place the opposite slice of bread on high of the cheese, mayo facet out.
Warmth a nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-low warmth and soften sufficient butter within the backside of the pan to coat it. Place the sandwich within the pan, cowl, and prepare dinner for two to three minutes, or till the underside slice of bread is golden brown and crisp. Flip, substitute the lid, and prepare dinner till the opposite slice of bread is golden brown and the cheese is melted, 1 to three minutes. Scale back the warmth to low if the bread is getting too brown earlier than the cheese is absolutely melted.
Slice and serve.