Julia Little one’s Eggplant Pizza is made on a base of roasted eggplant with tomatoes, herbs, garlic, Mozzarella, and Parmesan. And this vegetarian eggplant pizza is so nice for a meatless primary dish!
I’ve been an eggplant fan for fairly a number of years, beginning once I grew a number of several types of eggplant in my backyard and experimented with them. And once I began occupied with making low-carb pizza on a base of eggplant, I used to be excited to search out this recipe for Julia Little one’s Eggplant Pizzas in From Julia Little one’s Kitchen (affiliate hyperlink) my one and solely Julia Little one cookbook.
This recipe illustrates completely how Julia was forward of her time with this low-carb, gluten-free, and vegetarian pizza concept. However I confess that though the inspiring recipe was from Julia Little one, I did make a number of modifications within the eggplant pizza recipe.
I lower the eggplant barely thicker than Julia mentioned and in addition roasted them uncovered somewhat than lined with foil. I additionally used some thinly sliced contemporary basil on the pizza, a change I’m certain Julia would approve of. And I did use two forms of cheese and a beneficiant quantity of dried herbs, for an eggplant pizza recipe that’s loaded with taste.
This recipe has been in style on the weblog for fairly a number of years now, and it’s eggplant season so I’m reminding you about this eggplant pizza recipe for my Friday Favorites choose this week! Hope you’ll get pleasure from attempting it.
What substances do you want for this recipe?
- globe eggplant
- salt, for drawing water out of eggplant
- olive oil
- basil leaves (non-compulsory)
- freshly grated Parmesan
- finely grated mozzarella
- scorching pink pepper flakes, non-compulsory
- garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- canned petite diced tomatoes
- dried Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink)
- Greek Oregano (affiliate hyperlink)
What sort of eggplant is greatest for eggplant pizza?
I exploit giant Globe Eggplant for this recipe. These are the most important and fattest eggplant selection they usually’re additionally the type you’re almost definitely to see in American supermarkets. In truth, Globe Eggplant is typically referred to as American Eggplant!
Do that you must salt the eggplant for this recipe?
I extremely suggest salting the eggplant for this recipe and letting it sit for half-hour. Julia says the salting step is “to take away extra moisture and puckery high quality.” And though eggplant pizza won’t ever have a agency crisp base like pizza made with dough, the salting will take away water that may make it soggy.
Will salting make the eggplant too salty?
After the eggplant sits for half-hour and the water is launched, the water and salt is wiped off with a paper towel.
What different kinds of eggplant pizza are you able to make?
This recipe is for a low-carb vegetarian pizza. However you possibly can positively use different pizza toppings like sausage, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, or bell peppers. I’d prepare dinner the sausage after which add the sauce substances. Mushrooms or peppers will have to be pre-cooked earlier than they’re added to the highest of the pizza; pepperoni and black olives may be added under or on high of the cheese.
Need extra concepts for low-carb pizza?
In the event you’re craving pizza however don’t need the high-carb model, take a look at my enormous round-up of Low-Carb Pizza Recipes from nice blogs across the net! And many of the low-carb pizza concepts are additionally gluten-free.
Learn how to make Julia Little one’s Eggplant Pizza:
(Scroll down for full recipe with dietary info.)
- For this recipe you’ll want a globe eggplant, about 9 inches lengthy. (Mine weighed about 1/2 pound.)
- Minimize the eggplant in slices about 3/4 inch thick, attempting to make all of them the identical thickness.
- Lay eggplant slices on a double layer of paper towels and salt generously.
- Whereas the eggplant sits, begin cooking a beneficiant quantity of garlic in olive oil.
- Then add a can of excellent high quality petite cube tomatoes (or 2 cups diced contemporary tomatoes), dried Italian Herb Seasoning (affiliate hyperlink) and dried Greek Oregano (affiliate hyperlink).
- Let sauce simmer, including a tablespoon or two of water each time it appears dry.
- After half-hour, you possibly can see the liquid that’s launched from the eggplant.
- Blot eggplant dry with paper towels and wipe off extra salt. You’ll want to do this or the pizzas might be means too salty.)
- Brush the eggplant with oil, sprinkle with dried herbs, and roast at 375F/190C for about 25 minutes.
- Whereas the eggplant roasts, thinly slice contemporary basil (if utilizing) and measure out the Mozzarella and Parmesan.
- My eggplant was finished after it roasted for 25 minutes.
- Divide the sauce combination among the many eggplant items and high every with some sliced basil.
- Then high each with a beneficiant quantity of cheese.
- Put pizzas below the broiler, simply till the cheese is melted and serve.
Make it a low-carb vegetarian Meal:
Julia instructed this as a primary course or aspect dish, however I ate it as the primary dish, with Summer time Tomato Salad with Goat Cheese on the aspect. This could even be good with Excellent Spring Combine Salad, Lemon Parmesan Kale Salad, Avocado Tomato Salad, or Tomato, Olive, and Recent Mozzarella Salad.
Extra Low-Carb Eggplant from Kalyn:
- 1 globe eggplant, about 8 ounces and 9-10 inches lengthy
- 1 T salt, for drawing water out of eggplant
- 2 T olive oil, for brushing eggplant earlier than roasting
- 2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning, for sprinkling on eggplant earlier than roasting
- 10 giant basil leaves, lower in chiffonade strips (non-compulsory)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/3 cup finely grated mozzarella
- scorching pink pepper flakes for sprinkling completed pizza (non-compulsory)
- 3 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 giant garlic cloves, very finely chopped
- 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes with liquid (see notes)
- 1/2 tsp. dried Italian seasoning mix
- 1/4 tsp. dried oregano (use Greek or Turkish oregano)
- Minimize off each ends of the eggplant; then lower it into 3/4 inch thick slices (attempting to make them the identical thickness!)
- Put the eggplant items on a double layer of paper towels and sprinkle either side generously with salt. Let the eggplant sit with the salt on it for about half-hour to attract out the liquid.
- After the eggplant sits for quarter-hour, activate the oven to 375F/190C.
- Whereas the eggplant sits, make the sauce. Warmth 2-3 tsp. olive oil (relying in your pan) and saute the finely chopped garlic simply till it turns into aromatic. (Do not let it brown.)
- Add the petite diced tomatoes, dried Italian seasoning, and dried oregano and let the sauce prepare dinner at a low simmer till it is thickened, breaking apart the tomatoes with a fork because it cooks. (Add water as wanted, a number of tablespoons at a time because the sauce cooks, retaining it scorching by simmering at very low warmth till it is wanted for the eggplant slices.)
- After half-hour, wipe the eggplant dry with paper towels (this additionally removes many of the salt.)
- Spray a roasting sheet with olive oil or non-stick spray, lay eggplant slices on, brush the tops of the eggplant with olive oil, and sprinkle with dried Italian seasoning.
- Roast the eggplant about 25 minutes (however “not so lengthy that the slices turn into mushy and lose their form” as Julia says.)
- Whereas the eggplant roasts, thinly slice the contemporary basil leaves (if utilizing) and mixed freshly grated Parmesan and low-fat mozzarella mix.
- After 25 minutes or when eggplant items are finished, take away eggplant from the oven and switch oven setting to broil.
- Unfold a number of tablespoons of sauce on the highest of every eggplant slice, sprinkle with skinny basil slices (if utilizing) and high with a beneficiant quantity of cheese.
- Put pizzas below the broiler till the cheese is melted and barely browned. (This took 6-7 minutes for me, however I used to be utilizing a toaster oven and in a extra highly effective broiler it will most likely solely take a couple of minutes.)
- Serve scorching, with pink pepper flakes to sprinkle on pizza if desired.
Use 2 cups peeled and diced contemporary tomatoes as an alternative of canned tomatoes when you want.
For dietary info, two pizza slices is taken into account to be a serving.
This recipe tailored from one present in From Julia Kid’s Kitchen.
Quantity Per Serving:
Energy: 195Whole Fats: 15gSaturated Fats: 4gUnsaturated Fats: 10gLdl cholesterol: 14mgSodium: 535mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3.6gSugar: 4.6gProtein: 6g
Diet info is robotically calculated by the Recipe Plug-In I’m utilizing. I’m not a nutritionist and can’t assure 100% accuracy, since many variables have an effect on these calculations.
Low-Carb Weight-reduction plan / Low-Glycemic Weight-reduction plan / South Seaside Weight-reduction plan Recommendations:
I’m fairly certain that Julia Little one didn’t care about low-carb consuming, however nonetheless these low-carb eggplant pizzas are a terrific selection for low-carb and gluten-free diets, and for any part of the unique South Seaside Weight-reduction plan.
Discover Extra Recipes Like This One:
Use Eggplant Recipes or Oven Dinners to search out extra recipes like this one. You may also prefer to comply with Kalyn’s Kitchen on Pinterest, on Fb, on Instagram, or on YouTube to see all the great recipes I’m sharing there.
Historic Notes for this Recipe:
This recipe was first posted in 2012. It was final up to date with extra info in 2022.
We’re a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a way for us to earn charges by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated websites. As an Amazon Affiliate, I earn from qualifying purchases.