The NC State Board of Dental Examiners (“Dental Board”) lately disciplined a dentist in March 2022 for failing to adequately supervise her apply areas in North Carolina. The dentist, who’s licensed in North Carolina however lives in Indiana, is the only real proprietor of knowledgeable company with two apply areas. Though different licensed dentists work on the practices, the Dental Board decided that the proprietor did not adequately supervise the practices as a result of she:
- Had not visited both location since they opened in 2020,
- Had no communications with the dentists or scientific workers of the practices, and
- Was not concerned with the interviewing or hiring of dentists or scientific workers.
The practices had a administration settlement with a dental assist group (DSO) for enterprise providers that had beforehand been discovered compliant with the Dental Board’s Administration Preparations Rule (MAR) in 2019. Nonetheless, the proprietor dentist had agreed that she was nonetheless obligated to adequately supervise her practices despite the fact that she lived out of state and had contracted with a DSO.
The Dental Board imposed a 5-year probationary interval on the dentist, throughout which she should:
- Immediately talk with the scientific workers or be bodily current for at least eight hours per quarter in every location;
- Submit quarterly studies of her communications and visits with every apply, and a annual CPA accounting of all funds to the DSO and all revenue paid to the proprietor; and
- Personally deal with hiring and firing of all dentists and scientific workers.
Importantly, the Dental Board didn’t discover that the non-owner dentists did not adequately supervise the care offered in every location. As a substitute, the disciplinary order mentioned that the proprietor of knowledgeable entity should adequately supervise and management the apply, and can’t allow an unlicensed individual or entity to manage or function the apply. The Dental Board’s order is a transparent reminder, that, though administration agreements with DSOs are permitted in North Carolina, licensed dentists stay accountable for all scientific points of their practices.